Sunday, December 30, 2012

Fish Tacos//Pico De Gallo





Many apologies for my lack of updates.

I haven't died.

The truth is, I recently switched back to an iPhone, which makes loading pictures on to my computer SO. MUCH. EASIER.

HTC Vivid , you will most certainly NOT be missed.

Anyway.

I took the pictures in this blog months ago, and wrote the recipe even longer ago than that, so, the sad truth of the matter is that this blog was virtually WRITTEN already and I still didn't post it.

Because I'm a terrible food blogger.
Maybe not really. I'll work on it, kay? Kay.

Now to the real deal.
The pops and I love this recipe I'm about to share with you.
It's really super simple, but a key ingredient is the pico de gallo you put in your fish tacos.

I promise you, it's the best pico you'll ever eat ever in your whole life, ever.
Ever.
And it has a whole LOT of sources...a combination of me watching a friend of my brother's who is legit FROM Mexico make it, and also P-Dub has a recipe for it. Hers is more exact, sort of. I just chop up the ingredients I'm given and don't worry about proportion, because in the end, it's alllll good.

Perhaps I've done enough talking already.

I'll get on with it then.


This is fish. You can use any fish that will hold together on the grill. Or, if you must, fry your fish. But I'm judging you for it.
Behind the fish is the only seasoning you'll need for this. Don't be difficult.
Cook your fish as desired. We prefer grilled...well, at least I do.
 Warm up some tortillas, and apply desired amount of fish.
Add obscene amount of pico de gallo.
Add awesome cheese. (I prefer feta, but that's true of just about everything. I have a feta obsession. Stop judging me.)
The beer pictured up top is totally optional. But...it's good beer, and. Well that's it.

Now...here is the best pico, ever.
EVER.

Here's what you need for the pico....cilantro, red (or white, whatevs) onion, roma tomatoes, japs*, and limes.
Helpful hint: Use a 2/1 ratio for the tomatoes and japs*. Two tomatoes...one jalapeno. Get it? Cool.
You can tell how long ago this picture was. I'm wearing flip flops for crying out loud.
Sigh.
Anyway. Be a dear and rinse off the cilantro, tomatoes, and japs*.
Find some awesome way to have your cilantro dry off as much as possible. Be inventive. Use a paper towel, or something. The thing is, no one likes wet cilantro. I know this from personal experience.

Cut off the tops of the tomatoes. Half them. Scoop the seeds out. Chop 'em up.
Cut off the top of the japs*. Half them. Scoop the seeds out. You need all the non-green out of the pepper before you proceed. There's no joke here, man. I'm not a huge fan of spicy. If you want spicy, leave some seeds or what have you. It's your life.
Chop up the japs*. Throw in the bowl. Good job.
Then, rinse EVERYTHING that touched the jalapenos. Cutting board, spoon, knife...whatever. Thank you.

Dice the onion. Nothing fancy here guys. (The pops helped with some of these action shots! Wicked awesome photography skills that one has.)
Oh look, my favorite ingredient! There's a method of chopping cilantro you'll need to try. Lay it out, roll it up, chop it up. Kinda like you'd do with basil. Except...there's no fancy name. So I've dubbed it the cute cilantro burrito method. Don't ask me why...it's my brain. Don't go there.

All of your choppable ingredients should now be chopped up and in the bowl. And if they aren't, you should be ashamed.

Sidenote: it's better if all of these are chopped really tiny. I have this theory that the lime juice in the pico sort of "cooks" some of the ingredients, sort of like seviche?  Except no fish, but if you know what seviche is, then perhaps you catch my drift. Anyway.

Add in salt, pepper, garlic powder, and lime juice to taste.

It is very important to taste the pico with a chip, so you have a good idea of the salt content. 

You just really never know how much lime juice this bebeh will need. So buy 46 limes, just to be sure.

End result.
This has an instagram filter. But it's still really pretty, and very colorful.



*This is just a short word for jalapenos. Don't get confused.


Also, just an FYI. Pico has a shelf life of about three days, max. Maybe four. I realize that me saying "maybe four" completely negates the "max" statement, but just go with it. If it gets gross looking, don't eat it. Thanks.

2 comments:

  1. I completely appreciate the fact that the finished product is in fact in the appropriate bowl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are you through blogging now?

    ReplyDelete