Sunday, October 28, 2012

Brisket Tacos Like a Boss




First of all, this isn't my recipe.
I think it's my mom's. Maybe. 
Look, I'm not sure where it came from. Get off my back.
But, I've been eating these tacos for a while, and they never fail to please. 
Ever. 
Even when you're in a bad mood. 
*Especially* if you're in a bad mood! 

I used my brother as a model for the steps I have provided in this here blog post. 
He decided last night to cook these for breakfast. So, we went and picked out a brisket, and he did his secret seasoning thing, threw it on the smoker, then took it off about 7 this morning. 
That's how smoking a brisket works, right?
I don't own a smoker. I don't know these things. 

Anyway, my brother smokes a mean brisket. It's one of the many things I miss about living with him. 
His one and only flaw in this process is that he was unaware, maybe until today, that he is missing one very important step in this here brisket taco makin' business. 
I'll mention it in a few. 
Right now, let's get down to bidness. 

This is a brisket with the top cut off. Maybe that's the fat part. I dunno. But that is a BEAUTIFUL brisket.
To be fair, you don't have to use brisket. We have made these tacos many a time with some leftover roast or some other kind of beef that can be shredded or chopped.
But...as I always say, "Go Big or Go Home."
I said that once...

You wanna chop it up like so to get anywhere in life. 
See my brother's big knife? 
Don't mess with his little sister. 
Probably before or after, whenever, the chopping of the brisket starts, you need to grab some taters and poke some holes in 'em with a fork. Then, pop them in the microwave to cook them. This is the P-dub way of breakfast potatoes and she knows what's up. You listen to her. I'm not kidding at all. 
And here is half of a large onion. Or...you can use one whole small onion. Whatevs. You chop this up however you like. This is my brother's method. He's an engineer. Every little onion piece is the same size. Perfectly small. But if you prefer bigger chunks of onion, by all means, do yo' thang. 
Sidenote: It is very important that you understand that a onion chopped on a cutting board that didn't previously contain a heavenly brisket has no place in my life whatsoever. What is cross contamination? Go back up north where you belong. 
Ahem. 
Throw that onion in a cast iron skillet with some oil. Don't care what kind of oil you choose to cook with, just as long as it's some kind of fat that will fry up those onions in no time. You dig?
Now here is why P-dub is brilliant. See, your potatoes are already cooked through, so you just have to brown them now. See? See? We used three large russet potatoes, and you see my bro here cubing them up like a boss. 
Please don't forget about your onions. They require TLC. 
When they're cooked through, take 'em off the heat. 
See that yellow plate? It used to contain hot potatoes. 
Add some more oil to your skillet. As you can see, it's not the end of the world if you forgot some onions. 
Wait for that oil to come to temperature. 
Add your taters in that oil. 
Now, add salt, pepper, and chili powder. 
When my brother added the chili powder, he told me not to tell. 
His girlfriend doesn't like anything spicy. 
But what she doesn't know won't hurt her. 
Look, a random half full cup of coffee! 
Back to business. Here we have some taters that are slightly brown and crusty and omg good. 
Once they look like this, put your cooked onions in there. 
Taste it. Wonder why you don't eat this every day. Remember that fried potatoes isn't part of your diet. Stir some more. Be sad that you ever started dieting in the first place. 
Sigh. 
Look, Rotel! I love rotel. This isn't so random. You will need this...
See? Here we have potatoes and onions and rotel and brisket all in one skillet. 
...Here's the thing. 
This is where my bro unknowingly missed something. 
He just doesn't understand. 
You *have* to add more green chilis to these. 
I know that rotel has green chilis. 
It's just that...green chilis are my favorite just about. 
Obviously this will still be delicious without them, but once you go ahead and add them, you never go back. 
Promise. 
Unless you're visiting your bro and he doesn't know.
But it's okay. 
I forgive him. 
Anyway...
Stir it all together so it looks like this. 
Warm some tortillas. 
Apply your favorite kind of cheese. 

Thank me and my mother. 

You're welcome. 

No comments:

Post a Comment